Who Is That Extra?/1

Nitcentral's Bulletin Brash Reflections: ClassicTrek: The Characters: Assorted Character Topics: Who Is That Extra?/1

By Brian Lombard on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 7:15 pm:

There's a guy who during Star Trek's three years, appeared in all three uniform colors. He's never addressed by name, but he looks a lot like Alexander Siddig. (Tall, slim, dark hair). In "Balance Of Terror", he's a gold-shirt at the wedding. In "The Trouble With Tribbles", he's a
red-shirt who mans the transporter. And in "Whom Gods Destry", he's a blue-shirt who beams down with McCoy in the end. Who is this guy?

By ScottN on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 11:23 pm:

I don't know, but maybe he put up the extra "Who is this Extra" board?

By Todd Pence on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 2:57 pm:

Many extras were never credited in either the show credits or any subsequent reference work, so its hard to tell. The fact that he appeared in three different episodes over three seasons suggests that he was a part of the Trek family in some capacity rather than a transitory extra-for-hire. Oftentimes one of Shatner's stuntmen, such as Paul Baxley and Dick Dial, would stand in as Enterprise crewman. It might help to nail this guy down if you can find him in any other episodes.

By Johnny Veitch on Friday, April 16, 1999 - 3:24 pm:

One thing I want to know is: Who`s that extra who always sits at the helm or the nav? He first appeared in "The Galileo Seven" and is always at the helm or nav when Sulu or Chekov are away. He`s the one who`s seen in place of Chekov in all those scenes of the bridge from the back. In seasons 1 and 2 he`s a Lieutenant, in season 3 he`s an Ensign!

By Todd Pence on Wednesday, April 21, 1999 - 4:16 pm:

I'm not 100% sure, but the guy Brian was talking about looks like he might be actor Frank "Bud" DaVinci, who first appeared as in "The Naked Time" and was called Lt. Brent in that episode (he relieves Uhura at the navigation console). He wears a blue shirt in that episode. In other episodes where he wears a red shirt he is called Lt. Osborne.

If it is in fact Mr. DaVinci, here's some of the other episodes he appears in:

"Charlie X", "Mudd's Women", "The Devil in the Dark", "A Taste of Armageddon" (in which he plays both Lt. Osborne and an Eminiar guard (!!!!)), "Amok Time" (plays a Vulcan bell-shaker), and "The Lights of Zetar". He also served as Spock's stunt double.

Like I said before, I'm not absolutely sure its the same guy Brian's talking about, but they sure do look alike. You might want to investigate yourself if you have tapes of any of those episodes.

By Christer Nyberg on Wednesday, July 07, 1999 - 5:56 am:

The guy Brian talks about is Frank DaVinci's Lt. Brent (or Osborne). But, if you look at "A Taste of Armageddon" you'll find that DaVinci doesn't play Osborne there. DaVinci appears in many episodes, here are some more:

As Brent (Lt. in blue shirt):
The Naked Time, Dagger of the Mind, Shore Leave, Arena, The Return of the Archons, Space Seed, A Taste of Armageddon, This Side of Paradise, Errand of Mercy, The Alternative Factor, The City on the Edge of Forever, Operation-Annihilate!, The Changeling

As Osborne (Ens. or Lt. in red shirt):
The Man Trap, Charlie X, Mudd's Women, The Menagerie, The Conscience of the King, The Devil in the Dark, Operation-Annihilate!, The Changeling

The helmsman/navigator (and also security guard in "Devil in the Dark", "Alternative Factor" and "Is There in Truth No Beauty") Johnny asks about is Lt. Hadley, played by William Blackburn. (Named in "Piece of the Action".) Blackburn also played the white rabbit in "Shore Leave"!

Of course then there's the favorite extra Eddie Paskey with four characters: Leslie, Ryan ("The Naked Time"), Connors ("Mudd's Women"), and Thule ("Space Seed").

By Scott McClenny on Tuesday, July 13, 1999 - 7:39 pm:

Does Mr.Kyle count as a recurring character or
as an extra?

By Nick Angeloni (Nangeloni) on Tuesday, July 13, 1999 - 11:38 pm:

Probably a recurring character because he made the transition to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and had a consistent name.

By Johnny Veitch on Saturday, July 17, 1999 - 12:39 pm:

I thought it might be Lt Hadley. He wore a blue shirt in "A Piece Of The Action", I think, and didn`t respond to Scott. Incidentally, Kyle is in a red shirt (or jumpsuit) in most of trek, but a blue jumpsuit in "Space Seed" and a gold shirt in all but the teaser of "The Immunity Syndrome". And one crewmember is named Angela in several episodes, but the surname is always different.

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, July 17, 1999 - 2:50 pm:

No, Hadley wore yellow in "A Piece of the Action". Well, Kyle had to have a yellow shirt in "Immunity Syndrome" since the stock footage of the viewscreen and Chekov has the helmsman in yellow... And Angela Martine-Teller-Baker-whatever is just confusing. (She was Lisa in "Turnabout Intruder")

BTW, a little shamless plug for my webpage dedicated to the TOS extras: http://home2.swipnet.se/~w-27228

By Johnny Veitch, but you can call me Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 2:32 pm:

I always called Hadley Lt Guy. Ryan is probably Leslie`s first name, but did you know the end credits spelt his name "Lesley" for The Alternative Factor? One thing about Ryan being his first name, the Star Trek publication Star Trek Short Stories by William Rotsler called him Frank Leslie but that can be cast aside for three reasons:
This could be another Leslie
It`s not canonical
It`s just the Frank Conspiracy.

By The Frank Conspiracy on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 3:19 pm:

Well, we think it's canonical.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 7:03 am:

I`m going to have to call three cloaked Klingon birds-of-prey to defeat you guys!

By D.K.Henderson on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 5:17 am:

Cue ominous music....

By The Frank Conspiracy Phrankharmonic on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 9:24 am:

Duh duh duuuuuuh!

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 1:22 pm:

If Christer Nyberg hasn`t been assimilated into the Frank Conspiracy, I`d like to point him out a few more details:

1) Tonia Barrows wore red.
2) Kelso wore the pilot version of red.
3) DeSalle wore red in his last two appearances.
4) The name "Harrison" is given to both Bellah and the Asian goldshirt medtech. Is this a nit?

By Todd Pence on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 2:08 pm:

Re: The character named Angela (played by Barbara Bladavin) with two different surnames. How that happened is this: Oftentimes during the run of the series, a character would return as a guest star to play a ship's crewman on the series. The show's continuity department would remember that that guest star had played a crewman on the series earlier and they would simply have them reprise their role instead of being the character that was written for the script. For example, when Bruce Hyde returned to Trek for "Conscience of the King," his character's name was originally supposed to be Robert Daiken, but the continuity department had the script changed so that he could be Kevin Riley again. This was a marvelous touch and attention to continuity detail on the part of the creators. An example of how well this worked, as well as how thorough and dilligent the continuity overseers were, concerns David L. Ross's character of Lt. Galloway, a character he played in the first season. When Ross returned to the show for the second seasons "Omega Glory", the role was originally written for a Lt. Raintree. However, it was remembered at the last minute that Ross had earlier played Galloway, and so this was put in at the last minute (you can even hear that Kirk's voice is dubbed over when he says Galloway's name in this episode). Ross's character was killed during this show. In the third season Ross was again called on to play a security man. The scriptwriter, knowing Ross was going to play the part, remembered that Ross had played Galloway in season two and wrote in that name for him (unfortunately, he also neglected to remember that Galloway had died during the episode). Fortunately, another alert continuitist remembered this and at the last moment Ross's character's name was changed again to "Johnson"!
What happened in the case of Barbara Baldavin is that her character in "Shore Leave" was originally written for a Yeoman Mary Teller. When Baldavin was assigned the part, this character's name was changed to Angela Martine, the role she played in the earlier "Balance of Terror". But one of the script pages was neglected to be changed, so Kirk calls her Teller during the episode.
All of this goes to show that as much as we nitpickers like to point out the continuity errors in TOS episodes, that show really did a magnificent job of paying attention to continuity and consistency between episodes, probably more so than any other series of its time.

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, November 20, 1999 - 2:40 am:

No, I'm not assimilated into the Frank conspiracy...

1) Tonia Barrows wore red.

Of course, a nit on my part.

2) Kelso wore the pilot version of red.

How do you know? And the shirt is yellow.

3) DeSalle wore red in his last two appearances.

Another...eh..."oversight" on my part.

4) The name "Harrison" is given to both Bellah and the Asian goldshirt medtech. Is this a nit?

What do you mean? A nit on my side or on TPTB? Bellah's character is called "Harrison" in "The Naked Time" and Ron Veto's in "Space Seed".

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, November 20, 1999 - 1:22 pm:

Kelso`s shirt is... um... pink. The three pilot shirt colours are gold/green, pink and blue, if you look closely.

As for Harrison.... Oops! A nit on my part, actually! But you still called him Bellah elsewhere.

Maybe the redshirt from Obsession is Thule! But Kirk calls him Leslie by accident, because he can`t tell the difference!!

To Todd Pence: The end credits of Turnabout Intruder call David L Ross`s character Galloway! Oh Ops!

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 3:26 am:

Eh, no... Kelso's shirt is definately yellow.

Wilson's entry calls him Bellah, that's right. I did call him Bellah at first, I didn't catch McCoy calling him Harrison at first.

By Anonymous on Monday, November 22, 1999 - 12:20 am:

What about Fez's shirt color? Or Donna???

"Hanging out, down the street."

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, November 26, 1999 - 2:00 pm:

No, it`s pink (Stark Raving Lee?) James Dixon said that the two are easily confused. If you see gary Mitchell and Kirk together you`ll see the difference. Speaking of Mitchell, why isn`t he mentioned? I`ve got some more stuff:

If your page is called the Enterprise Crew why are admirals and crewmembers from other ships and starbases included?

I may be wrong, but I think the navigator from Shore Leave was Frank (Conspiracy?) DaVinci.

DePaul was helmsman in ATOA. As you say elsewhere, Hadley was navigator.

Freeman was a Lieutenant in the Trouble With Tribbles. The credits said Ensign but they also did with Mallory from The Apple and you still went with his sleeve insignia.

Galloway, as Todd pence said, was also in the Omega Glory.

We know why Hadley was at the engineering console in Shore Leave. So he could slip off the bridge and he and his daughter could pull the "White Rabbit" prank!

Howard doesn`t have a real name, did the creature have time to think of one?

I think the Martha Landon description could be a little less condescending. The Mr Chekov page at GeoCities has a much higher view of their relationship.

Why did Lemli need a first name?

In the character guide both LLH and the EMM Guard are referred to as being the left guard on the bridge. LLH is correct, EMM Guard, as the name suggests, was at EMM.

Patrick is referred to as a Lieutenant in the episode guide, but an Ensign in the character guide. Ensign is correct.

Where did the names Ensign moody and Vincent (for DeSalle) come from?

My sister Jenny, who is also a Nitpicker, pointed out that Colt does not wear blue, the image shows an away-team jacket.

One last thing: I think I`ve discovered a new recurring extra. The navigator from "Errand of Mercy" looks a lot like the one from "Obsession", and someone else who could be him can be seen leaving hte turbolift in "City On the Edge Of Forever." Are these all the same guy?

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 6:00 am:

This is getting rather lengthy and off-topic, should we write by private e-mail instead?

No, it`s pink (Stark Raving Lee?)

All right, all right! But I'm still leaving it as "Yellow (Second pilot style)"...

Speaking of Mitchell, why isn`t he mentioned?

At the time I reviewed the episode I didn't think they were... "lowly" enough to enter. I didn't follow this scheme for the other episodes so I guess they should be added.

If your page is called the Enterprise Crew why are admirals and crewmembers from other ships and starbases included?

I didn't change the name after I decided to include them.

I may be wrong, but I think the navigator from Shore Leave was Frank (Conspiracy?) DaVinci.

Yes. As my page says: 'Brent was on bridgeduty when Enterprise visited the Tantalus penal colony, ("Dagger of the Mind") and the amusement park planet. ("Shore Leave")'

DePaul was helmsman in ATOA.

Freeman was a Lieutenant in the Trouble With Tribbles.

Patrick is referred to as a Lieutenant in the episode guide, but an Ensign in the character guide. Ensign is correct.

I'll fix those.

Galloway, as Todd pence said, was also in the Omega Glory.

The episode guide says so, but his character entry hasn't been updated for some reason... And the link to Ensign Vinci doesn't work.

Howard doesn`t have a real name, did the creature have time to think of one?

Actually there might not be a crewman named Howard at all! There is an engineer on the bridge in the beginning of the episode that looks like him, though.

I think the Martha Landon description could be a little less condescending.

Maybe... I didn't think their relationship seemed that important.

Why did Lemli need a first name?

He simply has one. Scotty calls him Roger in "The Changeling".

In the character guide both LLH and the EMM Guard are referred to as being the left guard on the bridge.

Oh, this is a result of the "copy-paste" syndrome. I copied the list from LLH but forgot to change it.

Where did the names Ensign Moody and Vincent (for DeSalle) come from?

Janice Rand tells Spock that Moody didn't let her go to the bridge. It could be another crewman, but I thought it was the same.

My sister Jenny, who is also a Nitpicker, pointed out that Colt does not wear blue, the image shows an away-team jacket.

Aarrghh. I hate the pilots...

One last thing: I think I`ve discovered a new recurring extra. The navigator from "Errand of Mercy" looks a lot like the one from "Obsession", and someone else who could be him can be seen leaving hte turbolift in "City On the Edge Of Forever." Are these all the same guy?

I know about him, he's possibly in "Who Mourns for Adonais" too. I never had a name or actor to make a new entry for him. He's going to be in the 'Others' section some day though.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Wednesday, December 01, 1999 - 4:39 am:

Scott did call him Roger. I saw The Changeling soon after I sent the nit. Oh Ops!

By Padawan Nitpicker on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 9:33 am:

I`ve got another barrelload of nits and comments(think of me as a first officer helping you on the board, as opposed to a very picky nitpicker finding faults)

Yeoman Zahra is mentioned in the episode guide under "Operation-Annihilate" but not in the character guide.

Originally I was going to question your calling Frank daVinci`s redshirt character Vinci instead of Brent or Osborne (there are two Harrisons), but then I saw "The Devil in the Dark" and found that Commander (actually Lieutenant Commander, see the Freeman nit) calls him Vinci! The Concordance, however, draws no connection between Frank daVinci and this Vinci, calling Frank`s character Osborne!

Speaking of the Concordance, it also draws no "concordance" between Harrison and John Bellah.

Last Concordance point: It claims Ron Veto was an Eminiar guard, but not Vince Calenti! That might uncover the other Harrison`s identity. Speaking of whom, he sometimes wears Lieutenant insignia. In fact, he gets demoted halfway through Operation-Annihilate!

Hadley isn`t mentioned as ever wearing a blue jumpsuit, but he did in "Operation- Annihilate".

Ryan Leslie (just call him that! Maybe Spock helped him into the academy or something and calls him by his first name!) was at the helm in "The Man Trap" and someone who looks a lot like Hadley wanders the halls.

The blueshirt/goldshirt can be easily confused with Allen, they`re as similar as LLH and EMM Guard. One of them may have been in "The Enterprise Incident" wearing a red shirt with commander`s insignia.

The named though unseen crewmembers from "The Ultimate Computer" are mentioned, but not those from "The Galileo 7".

The EMM Guard entry says that he`s easily confused with "Not-so-much-Osborne-as-I-thought". Was that LLH`s original name? Presumably you changed it to avoid confusion (Osborne looks nothing like Frank Vinci though he`s often referred to as him, "Not-as-much-Osborne-as-I-thought" is not as much Osborne as you thought, EMM Guard is not as much "Not-as-much-Osborne-as-I-thought" as you thought...)

Green, Darnell, Moody and Compton should probably be referred to as Crewmen, but they could eb ensigns since they don`t wear jumpsuits and Kirk calls Kyle, Chekov and Uhura "crewmen" in "The Immunity Syndrome"

Ensign Swensen does not exist! It may seem like Kirk calls the two guards "Swensen" and "Bardoni" but actually he just says "Ensign Bardoni" and the other guard tags along! (Or did you get Swensen from another point int he episode? the Concordance has no entry.)

Leslie seems to have been demoted to ensign in "Obsession". It really isn`t his day.

the episode guide implies that the second honor guard and the relief navigator from "Journey to Babel" are different but they`re both LLH. Shouldn`t you say Relief navigator/Honor Guard 2? Or do they count as two seperate roles? (Connors` little helper???)

By Keith Alan Morgan on Sunday, December 05, 1999 - 7:39 pm:

Padawan, am I correct in assuming that you are nitpicking Christer Nyberg's website?
Trying to read some of your entries gets a little confusing because it seems like you are referring to things that I haven't seen.

By Christer Nyberg on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 6:47 am:

Yes, Padawan is talking about my website, I did suggest we continue the discussion by e-mail. But Padawan appearantly disagreed :)

I`ve got another barrelload of nits and comments

They are very welcome, maintaining this site alone is VERY hard.

Originally I was going to question your calling Frank daVinci`s redshirt character Vinci instead of Brent or Osborne (there are two Harrisons), but then I saw "The Devil in the Dark" and found that Commander (actually Lieutenant Commander, see the Freeman nit) calls him Vinci!

Originally, I did call him Osborne (and Brent in the early shows) but after discussing the Vinci business with a friend I decided to change it. This has had some interesting side effects; the links not working and your note on LLH/EMMG below.

Speaking of the Concordance, it also draws no "concordance" between Harrison and John Bellah.

True, the Compendium (by Allan Asherman) does, and so do several fan-sites. (If they are bases on the Compendium, I do not know)

Last Concordance point: It claims Ron Veto was an Eminiar guard, but not Vince Calenti! That might uncover the other Harrison`s identity.

I don't really follow you here, what other Harrison?

Ryan Leslie (just call him that! Maybe Spock helped him into the academy or something and calls him by his first name!)

That would simplify alot of things. But then it is a bit strange that Spock would use his first name anyhow.

The blueshirt/goldshirt can be easily confused with Allen, they`re as similar as LLH and EMM Guard. One of them may have been in "The Enterprise Incident" wearing a red shirt with commander`s insignia.

I'm not sure I know who your'e talking about now, the only red-shirted Commander in "The Enterprise Incident" is a black officer in the briefing room.

The EMM Guard entry says that he`s easily confused with "Not-so-much-Osborne-as-I-thought". Was that LLH`s original name? Presumably you changed it to avoid confusion

This is another case of sloppy updates from my part. :) I thought LLH was in "A Taste of Armageddon" because the tape I watched it on had very bad quality. But then I realised he wasn't and started calling him NSMOAIT, but changed it to LLH because it was a lot easier to say and write.

Green, Darnell, Moody and Compton should probably be referred to as
Crewmen

This is very tricky, what is to say that for example a lieutenant can't wear a jumpsuit? McCoy has done it a couple of times. The system I decided on in the beginning has proven to be quite inefficient.

Ensign Swensen does not exist!

The guy writing my Swedish captions seems to think so! I don't have "Obsession" on tape any longer (arghh!) so I will be unable to check it. But if you're right I should remove the Swensen reference.

Leslie seems to have been demoted to ensign in "Obsession". It really isn`t his day.

I know, in a season three episode too. (I can't recall which, I chose to ignore it.)

Shouldn`t you say Relief navigator/Honor Guard 2? Or do they count as two seperate roles?

Since I know very little about the characters listed on the 'others'-page I have decided not to decide if their characters should be different or the same, but settled on listing the actors' appearances.

By Todd Pence on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 1:29 pm:

>Ensign Swanson does not exist!

The name Swanson appears in James Blish's adaptations. And since Blish was working from the scripts and didn't have films of the show to go by, the name must have appeared in the script.

By Todd Pence on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 1:30 pm:

>Ensign Swanson does not exist!

The name Swanson appears in James Blish's adaptation of "Obsession". And since Blish was working from the scripts and didn't have films of the show to go by, the name must have appeared in the script.

By Todd Pence on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 1:32 pm:

Sorry about the double posting, my computer got hung up the first time

By Padawan Nitpicker on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 2:22 pm:

Maybe they wanted Swedish viewers to think there was a Swedish crewmember on the Enterprise?

I meant that guy in the briefing room! But all I remember is his skin colour and "Chekov" hairstyle so he could be different.

By ScottN on Monday, December 06, 1999 - 4:07 pm:

Maybe they wanted Swedish viewers to think there was a Swedish crewmember on the Enterprise?

Maybe that's where Annika and Per Hansen came from?

By Christer Nyberg on Tuesday, December 07, 1999 - 7:17 am:

I meant that guy in the briefing room! But all I remember is his skin colour and "Chekov" hairstyle so he could be different.

I still don't know what you are talking about, what's up with this guy?

Maybe that's where Annika and Per Hansen came from?

Actually, Hansen is a Danish or Norwegian name, the Swedish version is Hanson. They could still be from Sweden with a Danish/Norwegian name though.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Wednesday, December 08, 1999 - 12:29 pm:

I mean he could be the guy from "Errand Of Mercy" and "Obsession". The guy from City looked pretty different. The E Incident redshirt could be either of them or Allen from "The Devil in the Dark".

The "other Harrison" is the one played by Ron Veto or Vince calenti, since I had just mentioned the Bellah one.

By Christer Nyberg on Thursday, December 09, 1999 - 4:20 am:

But Allen in "Devil" wasn't black? Are you thinking of Lewis? Yeah, that could be him in EI. I don't think "Errand"/"Obsession"-guy is it.

Ron Veto is also listed as a stand-in under "Space Seed" and Harrison is in that one. Veto has more credits and Harrison has more appearances, which leads me to believe that he was played by Veto.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 1:55 pm:

Yes, I mean Lewis. Oh Ops! Errand/Obsession guy is probably the same, but the one from City has much darker skin and larger hair.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, December 17, 1999 - 3:39 pm:

Since the title question has been answered, this topic now has a new subject (Does that make sense?).

I thought your only source for the name Ron Veto was being mentioned as a security guard in The Alternative Factor.

Galloway was also in The Trouble With Tribbles.

The episode guide refers to "Ensign Mars" being in The Corbomite Manuever but he`s not in the character guide.

On a related subject, since Stewart Moss was also in The Corbomite Manuever does that mean Tormolen was? Which brings up the question of the chronological order of episodes.

I assume you heard Frank Vinci being called "Vinci" in The Devil in the Dark and you weren`t just using the actor`s name. Otherwise Brent would do fine since William Blackburn as a security guard is Hadley, not Lieutenant Blackburn.

Maybe we were just looking at Leslie when Kirk mentioned Thule? He might have forgotten to mention Leslie as he did with Hadley.

If the continuity guys had watched The Naked Time to make sure he was named Kevin Riley they might have noticed Eddie Paskey being called Ryan and kept his name that way (The Conscience of The King was the Riley`s Return episode, as well as the first to use the name Leslie!)

By the way, for those who don`t know, a padawan is a Jedi Apprentice as stated in Star Wars Episode One. I call myself Padawan Nitpicker because I think of myself as an apprentice nitpicker.

I also have a term for a recurring extra: regshirt. A cross between regular character and redshirt.

One last question, do you watch Star Trek in English or Swedish?

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 8:33 am:

(Does that make sense?).

No. :)

The episode guide refers to "Ensign Mars" being in The Corbomite Manuever but he`s not in the character guide.

The first season of the episode guide has been revised, but the character guide has not. (Although in some cases it has...)

On a related subject, since Stewart Moss was also in The Corbomite Manuever does that mean Tormolen was? Which brings up the question of the chronological order of episodes.

Argh. I hadn't thought about that. I guess he is in "Maneuver". Maybe "Crewman Moss" or something.

Maybe we were just looking at Leslie when Kirk mentioned Thule? He might have forgotten to mention Leslie as he did with Hadley.

And Brent, IIRC. But who is Thule then?

One last question, do you watch Star Trek in English or Swedish?

We don't believe in dubbing or synchronisation or whatever you call it in Sweden, so I watch subtitled Star Trek in English.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 1:49 pm:

The Compendium also says William Knight played Lt Ryan so who knows what they`re going to say next?

When I said the topic had a new subject I meant it`s stopped being "Who is that Extra? It`s Frank Vinci, Brian" and become a discussion of your page.

So, as for the comments you haven`t responded to, such as Commander Giotto`s rank, are they being taken into note?

I believe the guard from Assignment: Earth was EMM Guard.

Leslie wears yellow in the corridor scene. And he was helmsman in Catspaw.

"Ensign Bobby" sounds really weird, since Bobby is almost certainly his first name.

We`re back on the subject of Ensign Veto Harrison again! He`s referred to as only being an ensign in the character guide, but he`s listed as a Crewman in his first appearances in the character guide (appearances which he shares with the other Crewman Harrison, which just adds to complications). Also, he`s listed as Lieutenant Harrison in the episode guide under Balance Of Terror. I don`t know if that`s right because I don`t have the episode on tape. But I do know that he is a Lieutenant in some other episodes in which you call him an ensign.

How about listing uniform colours for the nameless crewmembers in the episode guide? For instance, "Helmsman (Lieutenant, yellow uniform)"

Speaking of which, were any of the nameless helmsmen, navigators and communications officers from season one the same?

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, December 18, 1999 - 4:23 pm:

The Compendium also says William Knight played Lt Ryan so who knows what they`re going to say next?

Which means: Don't trust the Compendium. (Although Allan Asherman is a good writer.)

When I said the topic had a new subject I meant it`s stopped being "Who is that Extra? It`s Frank Vinci, Brian" and become a discussion of your page.

Oh.

So, as for the comments you haven`t responded to, such as Commander Giotto`s rank, are they being taken into note?

I don't respond to minor fixes and stuff like that, no. I'm just a little lazy at updating...

I believe the guard from Assignment: Earth was EMM Guard.

No, absolutely not. I've got several screen grabs from AE, and that's LLH.

And he [Leslie] was helmsman in Catspaw.

I think so too, but I'm hesitant since Concordance says that Mike Howden is in it as Lieutenant Howe. And they do look a bit alike, they would especially in a far shot like that.

"Ensign Bobby" sounds really weird, since Bobby is almost certainly his first name.

If you look closely you will note that "Bobby" is either Brent or The Blotchy-Faced Man. I haven't decided which yet. (I'm closest to BFM, though.)

We`re back on the subject of Ensign Veto Harrison again! He`s referred to as only being an ensign in the character guide, but he`s listed as a Crewman in his first appearances in the character guide (appearances which he shares with the other Crewman Harrison, which just adds to complications). Also, he`s listed as Lieutenant Harrison in the episode guide under Balance Of Terror. I don`t know if that`s right because I don`t have the episode on tape. But I do know that he is a Lieutenant in some other episodes in which you call him an ensign.

Oh, well, I guess I have to look into this someday... I know I'm very sloppy with character ranks and uniforms, but adding alot of ranks and colors to that list is quite confusing.

How about listing uniform colours for the nameless crewmembers in the episode guide? For instance, "Helmsman (Lieutenant, yellow uniform)"

That is a rather good idea, it sure would help people using it to find them. It takes up alot of space though, and confuses the layout somewhat. (Plus, I would have to go through all the episodes again...)

Speaking of which, were any of the nameless helmsmen, navigators and communications officers from season one the same?

Yes, there are some that should be added to the 'others'-section some day... (For example the 'Lewis-look-alike' we talked about earlier, and 'Baby-Face' from "Miri" and "The Naked Time".)

By Padawan Nitpicker on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 3:20 am:

But the guy from AE has the same angry expression on his face! Or maybe he`s Lupo????

Why did you call the transporter chief from This Side Of Paradise Ensign Harper when he could be O`Neil? Because he`s an ensign? But O`Neil was transporter chief in The Tholian Web.

What "Baby-face"? And how about calling the Lewis guy "Not-so-much-Lewis-as-we-thought"?

I could give you the uniform colours for many of the nameless crewmembers:
Navigator from Man Trap: Yellow
Security officer from Charlie X: Red
Coward 2: Blue jumpsuit
Communications Officer and Helmsman from The Enemy Within: Yellow
Helmsman and Navigator from WALGMO, dagger of the Mind and Miri: Yellow
Navigator from Conscience: Yellow
Security guards from Devil in the Dark: Red
Navigator from Errand: Blue

The links to Ensign Vinci work here!

I think that Christi(a)n Duchaeu and Woody Talbert are the two cowards. Maybe Bjo Trimble got Christi(a)n Duchaeu and Christian Patrick confused when writing the Concordance (there are lots of other small things like that) and the BFM mystery has been cracked... But maybe I`m jumping to conclusions.

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 9:07 am:

But the guy from AE has the same angry expression on his face! Or maybe he`s Lupo????

He's fatter and his hair is dfferent, it's definately LLH.

Why did you call the transporter chief from This Side Of Paradise Ensign Harper when he could be O`Neil? Because he`s an ensign? But O`Neil was transporter chief in The Tholian Web.

I don't remember, it must've be because he was an Ensign.

What "Baby-face"?

Look at the navigator (or helmsman) in "Miri" and you'll know what I mean.

I could give you the uniform colours for many of the nameless crewmembers:

I have most of them in my written notes, but it wouldn't be fun going over all of them again...

The links to Ensign Vinci work here!

Well, now that I've fixed them...

I think that Christi(a)n Duchaeu and Woody Talbert are the two cowards.

I think so too, but I don't know who's who!

And the BFM mystery has been cracked...

What do you mean? By calling him Bobby?

By Padawan Nitpicker on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 10:30 am:

What I mean is, in the confusion of cross-referencing and credit-seeking, Bjo Trimble may have said that Christian Patrick was the Charlie X transporter chief instead of Christi(a)n Ducheau. I checked The man Trap and I think he looks quite a lot like BFM and is definitely not Brent. But I`m not sure.

Concerning Howard: I knew a real crewman named Howard didn`t exist, that`s why I asked why he needed a name.

The guy from City is most likely Lewis, not Lewis-look-alike.

Now for a quiz question: In which two episodes did Leslie take command of the bridge/ship?

By Padawan Nitpicker on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 10:33 am:

Oh, another thing. It was definitely Leslie in Catspaw. The helmsman from Obsession is probably Rowe, though (I assume that`s who you mean by Howe). And when I said "credit-seeking" I meant credit-searching. That is, searching to find out who played who, not trying to get credit for her work on the Concordance.

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, December 26, 1999 - 1:48 pm:

What I mean is, in the confusion of cross-referencing and credit-seeking, Bjo
Trimble may have said that Christian Patrick was the Charlie X transporter chief instead of Christi(a)n Ducheau.

Yes, that actually makes sense. Unfortunately it is rather vague...

I checked The man Trap and I think he looks quite a lot like BFM and is definitely not Brent.

The other guy is Brent (or Frank Da Vinci at least).

Concerning Howard: I knew a real crewman named Howard didn`t exist, that`s why I asked why he needed a name.

The question is: does he really need an entry?

The guy from City is most likely Lewis, not Lewis-look-alike.

Maybe. I haven't had the time to look into this yet.

Now for a quiz question: In which two episodes did Leslie take command of the bridge/ship?

That's a good one, The Squire of Gothos and Conscience of the King. (Or is it The Alternative Factor...)

The helmsman from Obsession is probably Rowe, though.

He is?! Why don't I have this on tape!!! (Kick myself in the head)

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, December 31, 1999 - 11:54 am:

It`s The Alternative Factor where he was in the command chair, but now that you mention it I suppose he technically "had the conn" in The Conscience Of The King.

Notice how the Concordance says Bobby is the guy in the jumpsuit, but you say he`s the goldshirt. I agree with you, and it`s the goldshirt who I meant when I said he looked like BFM. But earlier on a blue-jumpsuited crewman appears who looks a lot like BFM.

The Enterprise Incident guy is clearly not Lewis. Trust me. I watched the scene again and the image I had in my head did not concur with the scene in the episode. It wasn`t even shot from the same angle!

OK, there`s a guy in a blue jumpsuit who lurks around the bridge throughout season one, most notably in Errand Of Mercy and City On The Edge Of Forever, when he runs out of the turbolift and is attacked by McCoy.

Are the other details (Ryan in The Man Trap, Galloway in Tribbles, etc) going to be put in ever?

Try as I might, I can`t see BFM or Harrison in the corridor scene in The Corbomite Manuever or Assignment: Earth. I do see Brent and Leslie, both in gold shirts. But why aren`t they listed as being in the Corbomite Manuever? And does that mean both Leslie and Ryan were in the episode?

Martine-Teller-Baker from Space Seed isn`t listed, or is it just because she would add to confusions? Neither are two extras from Charlie X, namely the crewwoman who Charlie X ages and Galley Chef Roddenberry.

Howard doesn`t need an entry, but I suppose Norman (the android) does.

Presumably the episode guide will be updated for the last few episodes of season three.

I don`t suppose BFM is neccessarily listed for The Corbomite Manuever, since Eddie Paskey, Ron Veto, William Blackburn and Frank Vinci weren`t.

How about a footnote after Ensign Swensen concerning his existence (or lack thereof)

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, December 31, 1999 - 12:08 pm:

A couple more things. First, I scanned the episodes carefully and came to the following conclusion: Errand and Obsession guys are the same, and probably so is the Who Mourns For Adonais guy. The one from City is not him.

Second, you claim that Sturgeon was played by John Arndt. Says who?

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 01, 2000 - 9:48 am:

The Enterprise Incident guy is clearly not Lewis.

Good, I didn't think he looked a bit like him.

OK, there`s a guy in a blue jumpsuit who lurks around the bridge throughout season one, most notably in Errand Of Mercy and City On The Edge Of Forever, when he runs out of the turbolift and is attacked by McCoy.

Do you think the "City" one is Lewis? I agree that the others are not.

{Are the other details (Ryan in The Man Trap, Galloway in Tribbles, etc) going to be put in ever?}

Patience my friend, or you'll never be a Jedi.

I can`t see BFM or Harrison in the corridor scene in The Corbomite Manuever or Assignment: Earth.

Trust me, they're there, along with The Bridge-Lady.

I do see Brent and Leslie, both in gold shirts. But why aren`t they listed as being in the Corbomite Manuever? And does that mean both Leslie and Ryan were in the episode?

Everone is listed except for Leslie (presumably since I changed it to Ryan without knowing that he was in that corridor shot. Is he a Lieutenant in that shot?). But they are not listed as wearing yellow uniforms so sue me...

Martine-Teller-Baker from Space Seed isn`t listed, or is it just because she would add to confusions?

Well, would you like to tell me who she is? I can't find her!

Neither are two extras from Charlie X, namely the crewwoman who Charlie X ages and Galley Chef Roddenberry.

You're right, they should be added. BTW, that isn't Roddenberry playing the chef, he only does his voice, right?

Howard doesn`t need an entry, but I suppose Norman (the android) does.

Was Norman really ever a crewman?

Presumably the episode guide will be updated for the last few episodes of season three.

The Swedish channel took a holiday brake after The Cloud-Minders but all episodes upto and including that should be up soon.

I don`t suppose BFM is neccessarily listed for The Corbomite Manuever, since Eddie Paskey, Ron Veto, William Blackburn and Frank Vinci weren`t.

What? They're all listed!

How about a footnote after Ensign Swensen concerning his existence (or lack thereof)

I'm hesitant about changing anything on "Obsession" before I get it on tape.

Second, you claim that Sturgeon was played by John Arndt. Says who?

Says I, just compare the image of Sturgeon (which I just uploaded) to Field's.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 01, 2000 - 12:53 pm:

I meant Ron Veto, Bill Blackburn, Eddie Paskey and Frank Vinci aren`t listed in the Corbomite Manuever credits as playing crewmen.

When I was taping Space Seed I had the video recorder set on the wrong channel (the same fate which befell Balance Of Terror) so I can`t check to find Martine-Teller-Baker. I also can`t check the scene with the commendations, was there anywhere Thule could have been lying so the audience couldn`t see him (or her, for that matter)?

How can you trust the Compendium about Bellah Harrison`s name? The same maniacal laugh?

I thought you would say something along the lines of "he looks like him!" to my question about Sturgeon.

The guy in a blue jumpsuit I spoke of is white and has very pale hair. I`m temporarily off the subject of Not-so-much-Lewis-etc.-etc. Is he a recurring character or not? He can also be seen in Dagger Of The Mind, I think. We really need good names for him and Not-so-much-Lewis-you-get-the-idea. And I`m not sure who the one from City is!

It was just Roddenberry`s voice but that`s the only name we have for him.

I`m sorry if this didn`t sound enough like a question beforehand but here it is: Did you get the name Vinci from The Devil In The Dark or did you just use the actor`s name?

Speaking of Vinci`s name, I assume this is the whole story:
There`s this guy named Frank daVinci who`s in a lot of episodes. He constantly changes from a blueshirt to a redshirt so after a while you decide to give them two seperate names. The redshirt becomes Osborne, since the Concordance and Encyclopaedia call him that. But the only time Osborne is referred to by name it isn`t Frank daVinci, although this Osborne does also appear in a large amount of episodes. Instead of juggling two Osbornes, you decide to call Frank daVinci`s "Osborne" character Vinci instead. But then you discover we have yet another character on the scene! Osborne is not that fat guy from season two, he`s not so much Osborne as you thought! So you stick him with BFM in the Others section. Then you find out he`s not even always the same guy, there`s another one out there! So you split NSMOAIT into Leslie`s Little Helper and EMM Guard (Is this guy Osborne deprived or what? He`s not Frank daVinci, he`s not LLH and he`s not even EMM Guard!) is that correct? (Don`t give a monosyllabic answer!)

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 01, 2000 - 4:02 pm:

I meant Ron Veto, Bill Blackburn, Eddie Paskey and Frank Vinci aren`t listed in the Corbomite Manuever credits as playing crewmen.

In the Concordance? Oh all right. That's true, but they're there.

I can`t check to find Martine-Teller-Baker.

When you can you probably won't be able to find her...

Was there anywhere Thule could have been lying so the audience couldn`t see him (or her, for that matter)?

Well, first the camera pans over Da Vinci and Paskey and Kirk says "...technicians first class, Thule...". Then the camera pans to Veto and Kirk goes "...and Harrison."

How can you trust the Compendium about Bellah Harrison`s name? The same maniacal laugh?

Yes. Also Phil's comments on page 16 in the nitpicker's guide.

I thought you would say something along the lines of "he looks like him!" to my question about Sturgeon.

Well, that's almost what I did...

The guy in a blue jumpsuit I spoke of is white and has very pale hair...

I'm going to check this out tomorrow, it's getting late...

It was just Roddenberry`s voice but that`s the only name we have for him.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Did you get the name Vinci from The Devil In The Dark or did you just use the actor`s name?

I had a long discussion with a friend over this and we decided to use the name from "Devil".

Speaking of Vinci`s name, I assume this is the whole story:

[snip]

Yes. ;) That actually exactly what happened. Except that the name Osborne (for Da Vinci's character) held on for quite some time.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Sunday, January 02, 2000 - 6:03 am:

It`s time for a SERIOUS discussion concerning the following Eddie Paskey topics:
-Is Ryan really Leslie?
-Who is Thule?
-How many of them are there?
-How do we know who`s who?

First of all, while searching the site I found that you claimed Leslie was a goldshirt in the corridor scene from The Corbomite Manuever, The Menagerie and Assignment:Earth. I checked the Corbomite Manuever and, while we can`t see his sleeve insignia, Ryan is ON THE BRIDGE AT THE SAME TIME! So, does this mean Ryan and Leslie are different? Or is this some other crewmember in the corridor scene?

This brings up another question, this means Leslie is a goldshirt in four episodes, and seems to be seperate from Ryan, who probably IS Leslie. Does this make him Lt Paskey?

Next, in the Conscience Of The King Lelsie is only an ensign, and Kirk calls him Leslie. So how do you know who`s Ryan and who`s Leslie?

Leslie is never referred to by name when he`s at bridge engineering. I assume Thule was lying as if he had fallen from this console in Space Seed. Does that mean whenever he`s a Lt and at that console he`s Thule? NO IT DOESN`T!

So is Ryan the same as Leslie? If he is, who`s that guy in the corridor?

Now for some other minor problems:

I still can`t see Harrison in the corridor scene. And how come you say the corridor characters are in A:E but not in the Menagerie?

Leslie and Hadley are in the last overhead bridge shot in Mirror, Mirror.

Kyle-2 is listed as also wearing yellow instead of the Kyle on our Enterprise. Oops!

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, January 02, 2000 - 1:16 pm:

After acidentally losing my whole post three times thanks to Netscape, I've decided to give it another try...

The system I've used so far when naming Paskey's character is as follows:

Lt. + Red = Leslie
Lt. + Gold = Leslie
Ens. + Red = Ryan
Blue = Connors
Space Seed = Connors

For example in "The Corbomite Maneuver", Ryan would be on the bridge and Leslie in the corridor. This of course doesn't work if Ryan is Leslie.

But, "The Conscience of the King" has Leslie being an Ensign thus being Ryan but is called Leslie... This might mean that Ryan is Leslie, but it also means that we must change all Ryans to Leslies and losing the point of having a Ryan in the first place. (Paskey having two different ranks.)

And then there is Thule. I'm thinking of ignoring Thule all together and just calling him Leslie, because it's so silly to have a guy who looks exactly like Leslie, and with the same rank and position as Leslie, but with a different name. Oh, and Leslie was called by name at the engineering station in the beginning of "Assignment: Earth".

There are two corridor shots in "Corbomite", the first one has Leslie and Brent in the back and BFM and TBL (The Bridge-Lady) in the front. The second shot a few seconds later has BFM and TBL in the back and Leslie, Brent and Harrison in the front.

By Christer Nyberg on Tuesday, January 04, 2000 - 2:35 pm:

Oops, that should be:

Space Seed = Thule

By Padawan Nitpicker on Friday, January 07, 2000 - 2:21 pm:

We really need a name for the guy from Errand of Mercy and Obsession. Not-so-much-lewis-as-I-thought is too long and Lewis-look-alike isn`t correct. But have you noticed he`s also the relief helmsman in The Alternative Factor when Leslie is in command? See for yourself! And he may also be at the "life-support control" station just down from Leslie`s post in The Conscience Of the King. I watched the scene in The Man Trap several times and she`s clearly talking to BFM. So move him off the Others section and stick this guy in!

OK, I suppose the script just said the names "Thule, Harrison" in additon to those already known (including Spinelli) and the regular stand-ins, Frank daVinci, Eddie Paskey, Ron Veto and Bill Blackburn, um, stood in.

So maybe that`s Ryan in Obsession. It solves two problems at once. If you call him LIEUTENANT Leslie then it seems strange that ENSIGN Rizzo would be team leader. Maybe Kirk just got confused, they look so similar! :-)

In The Squire Of Gothos until Lelsie takes "the conn" he`s only an ensign! So are both Ryan and Leslie in this episode?

Ryan is in Mudd`s Women as well as Connors (look at the engineering console at the beginning) and Connors is in The Man Trap as well as Ryan (look at the medtech who operates Spock`s biobed). By the way, you still haven`t said Ryan was in The Man Trap.

I know that Brent, Harrison, Hadley and Ryan are in The Corbomite manuever, that`s my point. if they weren`t credited in the concordance then the BFM isn`t neccessarily either.

OK, let`s discuss Veto Harrison again (Is this guy problematical or what?) At first I thought he was only credited as being in the Alternative Factor, and that`s why you aren`t 100% sure he`s played by Ron Veto. But now i know he was listed as being in Space Seed.... I`m sure! I`m surer than I am that he`s called Harrison! Remember that Kirk called either Brent or Leslie "Thule"!

Next Veto Harrison topic, he`s listed as being in Shore leave and A Taste Of Armageddon in the episode guide but not in the character guide (He`s at the engineering station ont he bridge in ATOA). He`s not listed anywhere as being in The Devil In The Dark but he`s clearly a member of the security team.

Brent is listed as being in the Corbomite Manuever in the epsiode guide but not in the character guide.

Number One is also listed as wearing blue but the picture shows a yellow uniform.

I see you`ve included Yeoman Zahra. But she`s already listed as "Jamal, Zahra" I forgot to point this out to you! Sorry!

There`s more but I think I`ll leave it for later!

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 6:07 am:

Supplemental - stardate minus 323020.6

How exactly do you know that Sam Vandenecker and Herron are Crewmen? Sam is listed as such in the character guide though not in the episode guide. The same question goes for Herron, who`s listed as such in both.

Also for "Lt" Jose Tyler, it`s a pilot, the bands on his sleeves don`t mean a thing!

Fields is a goldshirt in Dagger Of the Mind. Just in case you want to put in these extra bits of information.

Corrigan is listed as a Lieutenant in the episode guide but the character guide says "Rank: Unknown"

The BFM is not listed as being in the episode guide under "Tomorrow is Yesterday". Presumably he`d be listed as "Security guard (Lieutenant)"

You say that M`Benga was the only extra in A Private Little War but Hadley and Leslie are also visible.

You said Leslie was an ensign in some season three episode, were you thinking of Brent in The Tholian Web?

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 6:52 am:

We really need a name for the guy from Errand of Mercy and Obsession.

First let me straight this out a bit... We have a Lewis, and another guy. Lewis is probably the guy in "City". The other guy is in Errand, Adonais and Obsession (at least). What shall we call him? "Black-Boy"? Or is that a little racist? He does look like Lewis with brighter skin so how about: "Lewis-Lite" or "Diet-Lewis"?

But have you noticed he`s also the relief helmsman in The Alternative Factor when Leslie is in command? See for yourself!

Yes, he is.

And he may also be at the "life-support control" station just down from Leslie`s post in The Conscience Of the King.

Ah, that's a tough one, I don't think it's him.

So move him off the Others section and stick this guy in!

Oh boy, and lose all those speculations on the actor?

In The Squire Of Gothos until Lelsie takes "the conn" he`s only an ensign! So are both Ryan and Leslie in this episode?

Ah, man. Is he an ensign there too? I hate that guy. What if Leslie forgot the stripes in his quarters or took the wrong uniform? What is the first episode in which Paskey has Lieutenant-stripes? If it's a pretty late one we can call him Ensign Leslie up to that point.

By the way, you still haven`t said Ryan was in The Man Trap.

You might wan't to check out the expanded episode guide, just click on the episode title in the episode guide. ("Charlie X" doesn't work yet.)

I know that Brent, Harrison, Hadley and Ryan are in The Corbomite manuever, that`s my point. if they weren`t credited in the concordance then the BFM isn`t neccessarily either.

No, I was just speculating. The most likely names are Christi(a)n Ducheau and Woody Talbert.

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 7:06 am:

How exactly do you know that Sam Vandenecker and Herron are Crewmen?

I haven't got a clue, I'm guessing. Prehaps it should be "Unknown" then.

Also for "Lt" Jose Tyler, it`s a pilot, the bands on his sleeves don`t mean a thing!

It seemed to be the most likely rank.

Fields is a goldshirt in Dagger Of the Mind.

I win this time, it's already in!!!

You say that M`Benga was the only extra in A Private Little War but Hadley and Leslie are also visible.

I missed to tape this one, perhaps you could do a full list?

You said Leslie was an ensign in some season three episode, were you thinking of Brent in The Tholian Web?

No, but I can't recall which episode it was.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 8:20 am:

You say that What are Little Girls Made Of was the first to have Leslie as a lieutenant but I have a feeling it`s... Squire Of Gothos! Aaaaaah! I haven`t checked, but if that is true, there is no Ryan, it`s Ensign Ryan Leslie! We must switch to production order when dealing with this guy. This is a red alert situation! Check all episodes produced before The Squire Of Gothos! (I will, but I may need you to back me up and check Balance Of Terror) But if Ryan is Leslie then who`s that in the corridor? If he`s not Leslie, who is he? Lieutenant (which he is, I checked) Paskey? In that case, who`s in The Changeling? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

"Black-Boy" could be considered racist by some but not by others. Though he does have quite dark skin and he looks like he`s younger than Chekov, so it does seem appropriate. How about "Kid" or something like that? Also notice how much he looks like Ron Veto when he smashes into Chekov`s console in WMFA. So now he`s in four episodes! Notice how spaced out they are, so he could be in even more.

Before I read your last two posts, but after I sent mine I saw your expanded episode guides. the only two I could get were "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" but they came with a "server error" note. I was pleased to see my comments being mentioned, right down to the optional A in Christi(a)n Ducheau`s name!

Maybe you ought to take Bobby down from the main character guide and add his appearance to the BFM list.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 8:27 am:

supplemental- I went back tot he page and noticed you added Bobby into the BFM list. But he`s still in the main character guide

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 08, 2000 - 9:04 am:

I have checked all episodes and Leslie is an Ensign in everyone up to... The Squire of Gothos! I've already changed the page to Ensign/Lieutenant Ryan Leslie!

But if Ryan is Leslie then who`s that in the corridor? If he`s not Leslie, who is he? Lieutenant (which he is, I checked) Paskey? In that case, who`s in The Changeling?

Thule is always Lieutenant... But I don't like him. What do you say we make him Lt. Ryan Leslie instead? That would narrow Paskey's roles down to two. (Except for the corridor guy... We could add a yellow-shirted Lieutenant Paskey.)

"Black-Boy" could be considered racist by some but not by others. Though he does have quite dark skin and he looks like he`s younger than Chekov, so it does seem appropriate. How about "Kid" or something like that?

I thought "Diet-Lewis" was rather humerous...

Also notice how much he looks like Ron Veto when he smashes into Chekov`s console in WMFA.

I thought he was Ron Veto for a (short) while.

So now he`s in four episodes! Notice how spaced out they are, so he could be in even more.

Yeah, that's good.

The only two I could get were "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" but they came with a "server error" note.

I fixed that. And they're the only ones I've written.

By Padawan on Monday, January 10, 2000 - 2:20 pm:

About Leslie`s roles: That`s EXACTLY what I thought we should do. And on Ryan being Leslie:

I WON! I WON! HOORAY! CHEER! I WIN!HA HA!

I mean, OK! I almost went into submission and thought of them as seperate, but, I WON! And as for removing Thule: perfect! It just goes to show (patriotic music of your choice) That no-one can make a Thule out of Leslie!

About NSMLAIT: Originally I was going to say "I`m going to have to "Veto" your saying it`s him..... then I realised it was him. Is that also him with a padd at Uhura`s station?

By Christer Nyberg on Tuesday, January 11, 2000 - 3:34 am:

I WON! I WON! HOORAY! CHEER! I WIN!HA HA!

Calm down now!

About NSMLAIT: Originally I was going to say "I`m going to have to "Veto" your saying it`s him..... then I realised it was him. Is that also him with a padd at Uhura`s station?

I don't follow you here... Are you saying that "Diet-Lewis" is Veto at some point. In "Who Mourns for Adonais"?

By Padawan on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 1:07 pm:

I said originally I was going to say that- then I realised it was clearly Diet-Lewis. When I said I realised it was him I meant I realised it was

BTW, I like the name Diet-Lewis. But it has other connotations, as EMM Guard could be considered Diet-LLH (LLH on a diet). Diet-Lewis abbreviates well (DL) but "Kid" and "The Kid" don`t (K/TK?)

Did you get the info about Ryan (ie Leslie) and Connors being in The Man Trap from me? Why amn`t I credited (Well, if it`s good enough for DL.... And amn`t IS a real word, as far as i know)

OK, more nitpicks:

First of all, Hadley is listed as a Lieutenant in the first few episodes in season three. And he`s referred to in the charcter guide as being the navigator in Plato`s Stepchildren but the navigator is listed seperately in the episode guide (I don`t have the episode, is he helm or nav?)

You say Bass wore blue in TSOP and had to break up a fight but the guy who breaks up the fight is a goldshirt. the two people fighting are Kelowitz and Veto.

Darnell, Sturgeon, Green, Moody and Compton are listed as ensigns but they`re called crewmen in the episodes.

DePaul is still listed as navigator in ATOA, and Wilson is still referred to as working with "Crewman Bellah".

By Christer Nyberg on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 1:24 pm:

I said originally I was going to say that- then I realised it was clearly Diet-Lewis. When I said I realised it was him I meant I realised it was.

Exactly what I thought...

Did you get the info about Ryan (i.e. Leslie) and Connors being in The Man Trap from me? Why amn`t I credited.

I got Ryan from you but I cought Connors myself a couple of hours before I read your post... But I'm going to put your name there. (What do you prefer: Johnny Veitch or Padawan Nitpicker?)

First of all, Hadley is listed as a Lieutenant in the first few episodes in season three.

I thought the wardrobe department made a mistake at first, but he turned out to be Ensign for the whole season.

(I don`t have the episode, is he helm or nav?)

He should be helmsman according to my notes.

Darnell, Sturgeon, Green, Moody and Compton are listed as ensigns but they`re called crewmen in the episodes.

Well, they are Ensigns and crewmen on the Enterprise. Spock is a crewman too.

DePaul is still listed as navigator in ATOA, and Wilson is still referred to as working with "Crewman Bellah".

I have a distinct recollection of fixing these, but it turnes out I hadn't. Oh well.

By Christer on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 1:31 pm:

But I'm going to put your name there. (What do you prefer: Johnny Veitch or Padawan Nitpicker?)

That should of course be "Which do you prefer:"

By Padawan on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 1:40 pm:

Call me Padawan. Padawan Nitpicker.

In the episode guide it seems Ryan Leslie got his promotion in Arena.

So, is Diet-Lewis going up there yet? We have four appearances for him:
Errand Of Mercy-Blue-Lt-Navigator
The Alternative Factor-Yellow-Lt-Relief helm
Who Mourns For Adonias-Yellow-Lt-Bridge Crewman
Obsession-Yellow-Lt-Navigator

He could be in others, I`m on the look-out!

Eradicate the entries for Bobby and Thule! (or illiminate them, whichever`s easier....)

As Brian said in the first post on this board, Brent is a goldshirt at the Balance Of Terror wedding. But you haven`t listed him as such. Is he there, or not (Remember, I don`t have the episode)

Veto Harrison is the type who deserves to be in the Others section but has a possible name and almost definite actor name. He`s appeared in all three uniform colours as well as a blue jumpsuit and served at a variety of posts, he`s much more versatile than LLH.

Speaking of Veto Harrison, if what you say is true Kirk lists the bridge crewmembers as "technicians first class Thule, Harrison...". Why not "Lieutenant Thule, Ensign Harrison"? Technician 1st class implies a Chief Petty Officer. So what rank is Harrison, and does this have anything to do with his and Thule`s questionable existences?

Sorry, that sentence was meant to end "I realised it was Diet-Lewis." But is it also him holding that padd next to Uhura`s console after the opening credits?

Ryan Leslie is also in The Apple, at the engineering console.

By Padawan on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 2:45 pm:

The updates claim you have images of LLH and an entry for Diet-Lewis but I don`t see them anywhere.

By Someone Who Knows on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 9:23 am:

Johnny Veitch changed his name to Padawan Nitpicker after he started upsetting everyone.

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 1:36 pm:

What are you talking about? A few months ago I stuck "Padawan Nitpicker" on the end of my name because I had recently seen Epsiode One and my post was to do with it, though not on the Episode One board. I don`t remember upsetting "everyone", and no-one suggested it on the board. And why don`t you use YOUR real name? You`re not one of the resident flamers, are you? Are you a moderator? Are you the other Spock at The Phatom Return? Or do you know (of) me outside NitCentral?

By Christer Nyberg on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 2:52 pm:

In the episode guide it seems Ryan Leslie got his promotion in Arena.

My bad.

So, is Diet-Lewis going up there yet?

He's up now.

Veto Harrison is the type who deserves to be in the Others section

Yeah, that might be true, but since he has a name (and/or actor) I think it's best to put him in the main section, anyway.

By Padawan on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 11:22 am:

EMM Guard could be Paul Prokop, have you ever thought of that? And even if he isn`t, I suppose that should be mentioned on his entry in the Others section, like with BFM. The name comes from the Concordance. Under "security guards, Enterprise", it seems to give an actor name for LLH, but elsewhere it says that he played a guy at the rocket-launch place. Are they identical?

In Elaan Of Troyius Vinci really is a Lieutenant Commander, you`ll notice he has that insignia throughout the scene and the close-up isn`t even of Scott`s hands!

Nameless Naked Time Extras: We have BFM, chased by Sulu and later as a security guard (I don`t suppose this counts as two sightings, since his uniform is the same), the second coward, the three in the rec room (two male, one female), the male yeoman ("Baby-Face"), the guy who tags along with Scott, and the second security guard.
First, even if we remove the rec room crewmembers we have five people and only three names. Two names, actually, since none of them are Frank daVinci (In fact, he only plays Brent).
Who is that guy who tags along with Scott. Jenny and I called him "Scotty`s Little Helper" long before we heard of LLH! He looks quite a lot like Kyle.
The second security guard looks a lot like Hadley and can also be seen in Dagger Of The Mind (Have you noticed him? Maybe he is Hadley!)

Next, the male yeoman from The Man Trap, the navigator from Dagger Of The Mind and the helmsman from Miri, are they all the same?

Speaking of Dagger Of The Mind, it was Vinci on the bridge, not Brent.

And Brent can be seen in Tomorrow is Yesterday, when the ship shakes around.

From memory and what you tell me, I have put together a transcript for the scene in Space Seed.

(Pans over Leslie and Brent)
Technicians first class, Thule...
(Pans over Veto Harrison)
... and Harrison.
(Pans over Spinelli and Hadley)
Lieutenant Spinelli....

Could you make a transcript to verify this, in the same style? I would like information on where Spocka and Uhura come into it, and if anyone else were lying around the bridge.

By Padawan on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 11:32 am:

One more thing, what colour did Veto wear in Space Seed?

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 3:53 am:

Yes, I now he could be Paul Prokop, but I think it's more likely that Paul Prokop is that other guard. (Who talks.) He is the PCR-Guard, ("Phaser Control Room Guard") and should probably be given an entry as well.

In Elaan Of Troyius Vinci really is a Lieutenant Commander

I know but it put it in brackets because that would be one helluva promotion. (And demotion the next episode.) I probably should remove the comment about Scotty-stock footage though, although it's likely the creators had this in mind when picking out the uniform.

Who is that guy who tags along with Scott. Jenny and I called him "Scotty`s Little Helper" long before we heard of LLH! He looks quite a lot like Kyle.

Yeah, a bit. I don't think I've ever seen him again though.

The second security guard looks a lot like Hadley and can also be seen in Dagger Of The Mind (Have you noticed him? Maybe he is Hadley!)

Is he the guard who steps out of the turbolift? I think he is in the beginning of Balance of Terror, too. No, I don't think he's Hadley, I thought he was Lupo for a while though, but he is too skinny.

Speaking of Dagger Of The Mind, it was Vinci on the bridge, not Brent.

Yeah, I know.

By Padawan on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 4:17 am:

One crewmember not listed in The Enemy Within: James! Near the end the evil Kirk says "Farrell, James, grab him!" At first I thought he mean t the helmsman, or Kirk`s first name, but the most recent time I saw the episode I realised that, in context, he meant another crewmember, though with the direction he was looking he couldn`t mean the helmsman. I checked the Concordance. Nothing under the Enemy Within but he does have an entry for himself. Apparently he`s the guy at the engineering console!

So, when you can, could you give me the transcript? (One you did yourself, of course, in the style of mine) i only use the internet at weekends and Friday evening, so you probably have a whole week to scan the scene.

CPO Garrison is also listed as wearing blue, he wears the same as Kelso.

There is one uniform colour not listed, it`s in the first few episodes: green. It only appears as a jumspuit colour, and is worn by BFM in Mudd`s Women. Or do you call this "yellow jumpsuit"?

Speaking of BFM in Mudd`s Women, he`s also wearing red at the environmental engineering station on the bridge.

O`Neil wears red in The Tholian Web.

The helm+nav from WALGMO are Lts.

Hadley is actually relief navigator, not helmsman, in The Immunity Syndrome. And he is an ensign in TDITD.

By Christer Nyberg on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 5:11 am:

the male yeoman from The Man Trap, the navigator from Dagger Of The Mind and the helmsman from Miri, are they all the same?

The helmsman from Miri and the navigator from Dagger of the Mind are not the same. The yeoman seems to be the same as in Dagger.

Or do you call this "yellow jumpsuit"?

Yes.

So, when you can, could you give me the transcript?

Probably tonight, or tomorrow (Sunday).

One crewmember not listed in The Enemy Within: James!

I'm rewinding the tape right now...

Hang on...

Done. Yep. It's the engineer, or possibly the one next to him. (Which cannot be seen.) The question is: Is this Veto?

By Padawan Nitpicker on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:14 am:

No, not unless he`s pretty scared! I wish it were, though. I prefer to call him Veto than Harrison, but we can discuss that once the transcript`s ready! I may be back tomorrow!

Well, I`m back early. I call that goldshirt "Pseudo-Paskey" because I thought it was Paskey in The Man Trap. The Miri and Dagger ones don`t seem the same but I thought that was just because Miri has a must more faded appearance.

The Hadley-esque redshirt is maybe also one of the three guards at the end of WALGMO.

OK, here`s someone else I`ve noticed. He can be seen in the briefing room in The Immunity Syndrome and in that scene can be confused with Sulu. He`s also in a red (and perhaps also yellow) uniform in The Squire Of Gothos and blue at the end of Elaan of Troyius.

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 3:21 am:

Transcript of suffocation scene in "Space Seed"

Time index: 0 seconds

(Pans over Spock hunching at science station to Uhura lying beside her chair)
Kirk: Only moments of air left on the bridge now.
(Pans from Uhura to Brent lying next to the turbolift doors, facing away)
Kirk: Commendations recommended for Lieutenant Uhura...
(Camera is now right over Brent, pans to Paskey slumped over the railing)
Kirk: ...technicians 1st class Thule...
(Camera is between Paskey and Veto, who is lying over the station next to the engineering station, Spinelli is also in view)
Kirk: ...and Harrison.
(Pans over Spinelli)
Kirk: Lieutenant Spinelli...
(Pans over Hadley's arm to Kirk)
Kirk: ...and of course Mr. Spock.

End of relevant footage
Time index 34 seconds.

By Padawan on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 10:10 am:

OK, looks like Leslie is Thule and Veto is Harrison! I didn`t need the time index, though. But if we don`t accept the name Thule, why Harrison? It`s the closest he has to a real name? (And he`s a blueshirt in Space Seed, right?)

Actually, James may be Veto. It`s difficult to see.

By Christer Nyberg on Sunday, January 23, 2000 - 10:28 am:

Veto is a redshirt in Space Seed. And yes, that is the only name we have for him, but we have several other names for Paskey.

BTW, my translator thought Kirk said 'Mulney' when he actually said Lemli in "The Savage Curtain". Which is up on the site now, along with "All Our Yesterdays".

By Christer Nyberg on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 6:17 am:

I looked at that Lewis-lookalike in "Who Mourns for Adonais?" and I thought he looked more like Veto than Lewis, but most like James. Go take a look.

And it's most definately Lewis in "City on the Edge".

By Padawan on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 11:17 am:

How about a little change in format? Not for the Enterprise Crew page, for our discussion here. It`s been leaning towards this so, I think it ought to be made official. I think that, instead of me giving one-sentence paragraphs and you responding (using copy-and-paste from my message) we start each paragraph with a discussion heading, if it`s part of a long debate. If you didn`t follow that, I`ll give you a step-by step guide as I go through the message.

The roles of Eddie Paskey
I would just ignore that corridor scene, since I beleive Brent, BFM and Veto are also in both places in two different kinds of uniform. But notice how Connors wears a green jumpsuit in Mudd`s Women but a blue one in The Enemy Within and The Man Trap. And that survey needs some updating (possibly a new one to replace it), since now Ryan is Leslie, Thule doesn`t exist, and everyone is likely to say "Leslie" anyway! But speaking of Thule, how about we keep his entry, but list everything as unknown, and add a footnote that Kirk seems to mean Leslie?
(if you wish to respond to this, begin your response with "the roles of Eddie Paskey" instead of a line from my post)

Diet-Lewis
I would say that was him in "Who Mourns for Adonais" but if he`s the same as the guy with the padd at Uhura`s console I`d deny it.

Next come some more minor points, which you can respond to (using copy-and-paste) at the end, or the beginning, or wherever, in your post.

The entry for Connors needs to be updated. It lists his appearances in production order and the main part of his entry is done in a completely different style. Also, his appearance in The Man Trap is not listed.

Speaking of The Man Trap, are you going to do any more extended episode guides?

Finally, the relief navigator from TSOG looks very much like a gold-shirted Brent.